Recipes of the Month
Winter Warmer Stew
With the cold nights closing in, and Christmas on its way, now is the perfect time to cook a comforting family meal to enjoy on a cosy night in.
How about trying our award-winning, succulent Welsh Black Beef stewing steak in an affordable and delicious Grandma's Stew? The following recipe has been enjoyed on the family farm for generations - and Grandma is still going strong with her traditional home cooking.
Serves 4 very hungry people
- 450g/1lb Welsh Black Beef stewing steak
- 3 medium sized carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
- Mixed herbs
- Salt (optional) and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 150ml/¼ pint stock (cube or homemade)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and seal the steak on all sides.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry until lightly golden brown.
- Transfer the steak and onions to a casserole dish.
- Add the tomato puree, carrots and herbs to the meat.
- Add the stock and season to taste.
- Bring to a boil on the hob then transfer the casserole dish to a medium (130ºC) oven for 3 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.